Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Zucchini Casserole

Zucchini Casserole

This is a really simple dish - it's just a casserole - but we really like it!
1 1/2 lb. zucchini (6 cups) cut in 1/4 " slices
1 lb. ground beef (I use ground turkey and I only use a 1/2 lb.)
1/2 medium onion, finely choppped
1 1/2 c. uncooked white* rice
(brown rice works - but it take FOREVER to cook in this recipe - so I recommend using white)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I often don't have garlic - so I just sprinkle in a little garlic powder and call it good :)
1 t. Oregano (I use Italian Seasoning - because that's all I have)
2 c. cottage cheese
1 can cream of celery soup
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 c. water

Instructions:
Cook zucchini in boiled salted water until BARELY tender. Drain well.
Saute beef with onion and garlic, drain well.
Add rice and seasoning to the beef mixture, brown slightly.
Add water.
Place half of sliced zucchini on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
Cover with beef mixture.
Spoon cottage cheese over beef mixture.
Cover with remaining zucchini and then spread can of soup over all. Okay, I'll be honest - it always looks gross to me at this point - but don't worry - it's yummy!
Bake at 350 degrees, covered, for 40 minutes. Remove and sprinkle cheese ove rthe top. Check rice for tenderness and cook for 5 minutes more. This recipe is from my mother, Mickie Niland.
*I usually only cook with brown rice - and it does work in this recipe - but it take FOREVER to cook - so I recommend using white rice instead.
Rating: Jeremy 4 - Kendra 4.5