Monday, October 26, 2009

Quick and Easy Homemade Bread

I love this homemade bread recipe. It is quick and easy. :) And yummy! What's not to like?? Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups warm water
6 T. oil
6 T. honey (or sugar)
1 1.2 tsp. salt
1 T. dough enhancer
4 cups flour (any combo of wheat and white)
1 1/2 T. Saf Instant Yeast
Combine all of these ingredients in a mixer of sorts (like a Bosch or a Kitchenaid) and mix for 8-10 minutes. While the dough is mixing slowly add 3 more cups of flour (for a total of 7 cups).
Oil bread pans and divide dough into 2 or 3 even loaves and place them in the bread pans to rise for 30 minutes or until doubled.
This recipe can make 2 big loaves or 3 smaller loaves - or I often make 2 loaves and an 8x8 pan of cinnamon rolls because my Honey LOVES cinnamon rolls and I like to see him smile. :) I have also used this recipe to make homemade soup bowls - and that worked great as well. I actually make this bread all of the time (usually once a week) because it is SO fast and easy.
After the dough has risen, bake the bread at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. I use a meat thermometer to determine if the bread is done or not. 180 degrees on the meat thermometer means that your bread is finished! Then I butter the tops of the loaves and take them out of the bread pans to cool. YUM - nothing is quite as delectable as fresh, warm, homemade bread.
To make the bread into cinnamon rolls I just roll the dough out - melt some butter (maybe 1-2 T.) and sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar over the dough. Then I roll it up and cut the log into 9 cinnamon rolls and let them rise in the 8x8 pan. Yummy and easy (aka PERFECT).
This recipe was passed on to me by my amazing sister, Tiffany. Thank you Tiffany!